Tiny hearts peplum blouse



February's pattern for the sewing series Flip This Pattern is the Josephine Blouse and Dress by Violette Field Threads.

It was my first time sewing this pattern and I loved it! It is available in sizes 2-10 and comes with several options: blouse or dress, long or flutter sleeves, pintucks, collar, optional ruffle button tab and waist sash.



When sewing for this wonderful series I try not to flip patterns so much that one cannot recognize the original pattern... I always keep some of the original features. In this case I chose to sew a blouse, with collar, pin tucks and flutter sleeves. 

My flipping was the following:

  • No ruffles or button placket in the front bodice
  • An opening in the back closing with a button and a fabric loop
  • A change in the collar (it was divided in two)
  • 4 rows of pin tucks (instead of 3)
  • I shortened the lenght of the blouse and
  • Add a peplum!
Back detail. Button and button loop.

Front detail. Pin tucks and peplum.
For the changes in the bodice front: 
Since I chose not to do the whole button placket piece I had to chop off of the pattern the 3/4'' + 3/4'' of the button placket (I just folded that width of the tracing paper), and cut the fabric for the front bodice part just once on the fold (instead of cutting 2 separate pieces)


For the changes in the back bodice: 
I ironed the back piece folded in the middle and cut about 4'' down the middle line so I could add an opening (since I haven't had any opening in the front).
I made a bias tape out of the same fabric so I could finish the back opening edges and do the button loop (I folded the bias tape in a 1/8'' width and topstitched right in the middle of it).





For the peplum:
I used the peplum pattern for the Pippa peplum knit top (by See Kate Sew). I have used it here before.
It was just perfect! And I loved that I was able to combine two pieces of separate patterns! I think this can be a simple mash up!

Easy peasy!

I was choosing the fabric for this project when my 5 year-old daughter came and asked me what I was going to sew. I told her it was a blouse for her and asked her if she wanted to choose the fabric for it. The answer was an obvious yes! I add several tiny flower prints, a red polka dots print on a navy blue background and a tiny-hearts-framed-with-tiny-pearls print on a blue background. You can guess what a 5 year-old little princess chose, right? Hearts!


When I needed to choose a button I grabbed my button collection (except for the vintage ones) and again I asked for her help. She was so glad! And I was so... "she is taking so much time next time I'll just do it myself..." But I can't blame her, really... I always take a lot of time choosing buttons... or find a matching set! (Thankfully this was not the case.)



I am loving the Flip This Pattern series and I am just a bit sad that I am not being able to join every month... (Last time I joined was November FTP and you can see my flip here
But I already have March and April's patterns and ideas on flipping them are rushing in my head!

Make sure to stop by Frances Suzanne blog to check all the amazing things other talented people (more talented than me for sure!) are doing. 




Project linked to:

Flip This Pattern

11 comments

  1. Cute! Love your fabric choice and peplum style! Congrats you could make it in time (And hooray for me too :))!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back.....and that you are 'on board' for March and April!! What a cute outfit - I love all the components of the original pattern you kept, as well as the 'flips' you implemented. The best part?? Having your daughter play such an active role in creating it..... That's just great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabric is lovely. I really like the opening in the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O tecido é lindo... e sabes? Tens uma caixinha de botões quase igual à minha!! heheh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorei a blusa! Ficou tão fofa!

    Essa foto da tua filha a escolher botões... levou-me atrás no tempo quase 30 anos. Quando era miúda e a minha mãe costurava, eu entretinha-me a brincar com os botões. Ainda hoje adoro mexer em botões :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds must think alike! Ha! I love your peplum version and how you chose to make the closure in the back and keep the collar. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute take on the blouse! I toyed with the idea of a back opening, but decided to leave mine in front...but I love how yours turned out! And kudos to you for letting your daughter choose the fabric :) It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely...my favorite part of your flip is the back button opening! Annie helped pick out the buttons for our flip, and it took her a looooooooong time too! Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable blouse! I love the peplum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet flip! And I am a sucker for the peplum look. I love that pretty button too…your daughter has great taste! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and I will get back to you soon!